Director, Regulatory & Supply Chain
Mary Kay is an iconic global brand in the multi-billion dollar direct sales and cosmetics industries established upon the principle of enriching women’s lives. Each day, in over 36 markets worldwide, Mary Kay enriches the lives of millions of women by providing a rewarding business opportunity and irresistible, top quality cosmetic products. As a leader and innovator in its market, Mary Kay is committed to pursuing talent with this same passion and drive for excellence and making a difference in the world.
Mary Kay’s Supply Chain is a global operation consisting of R&D, manufacturing, distribution and related groups who help innovate, create and deliver a multi-billion dollar inventory to Mary Kay markets across the globe. The majority of Mary Kay products originate from Mary Kay’s R&D group, which, acting in coordination with the Mary Kay Corporate Brand Division, develops high quality, innovative cosmetic products, and is one of the top innovation leaders in the direct sales industry.Mary Kay self-manufactures the majority of its products at one of its two word-class manufacturing facilities.
As Director, Regulatory & Supply Chain, you will direct and manage the work of legal teams (including internal and external legal resources) and provide oversight and strategic vision for handling complex legal projects in order to provide legal advice, guidance and strategic counsel to the company on a wide variety of regulatory and commercial issues which arise from the day-to-day operations of global Supply Chain, Manufacturing/R&D and Corporate Brand.Incumbent will play a key role in helping to mitigate risk, drive efficient commercial processes, prepare critical agreements and protect the interests of the company, the millions of Independent Beauty Consultants who sell Mary Kay products, and the ultimate consumer.You’ll be responsible for providing timely, insightful and pragmatic counseling on compliance with federal and state cosmetic and related regulatory law requirements, preparing a variety of commercial domestic and cross-border agreements, as well as providing regulatory compliance advice on global initiatives having regulatory consequences. Areas of regulatory counseling typically include product labeling and claims requirements, regulatory requirements for ingredients and products, on-going compliance of products and marketing with existing and new regulations, interpretation of legislative or regulatory proposals that change existing requirements, and support for litigation over labels and claims.
- As a key member of the global legal team, you will act as the primary contact for Supply Chain leadership, providing legally sound solutions to help drive Supply Chain and Regulatory business initiatives. Direct and manage the work of legal teams made up of both internal and external legal resources and provides oversight and strategic direction in their handling of complex legal projects. Coordinate, conduct and oversee the development of legal research and analysis in order to facilitate and enhance the internal decision-making process and to ensure adequate protection of the Company’s legal rights, interests and objectives. Develop and enhance processes and procedures for efficient handling of legal issues.
- Provide high quality, hands-on, business oriented legal support focusing on the key objectives of the Supply Chain and related divisions.
- Lead initiatives to promote compliance with federal, state and international regulatory requirements by providing timely, pragmatic and insightful daily counseling for business associates to avoid challenges that could disrupt business.
- Provide legal support for major transactions involving product development, procurement, manufacturing, import/export and distribution; including contract negotiation, drafting, review, and execution.
- Establish appropriate standards for governance and commercial practices including creation and review of Mary Kay policies and guidelines to promote legal compliance globally.
- Stay knowledgeable on legislative and regulatory developments affecting the business focusing on regulatory and other issues that may have an impact on product development, manufacture, distribution, import/export Mary Kay and its business.
- Trusted advisor to company legal team members on interpretation and scope of laws and regulations; contribute insights that are critical to our legal defenses and that are nuanced and insightful relative to regulatory interpretation and compliance for Supply Chain and related issues.
- Law degree from top tier accredited law school, and admission to one or more state bar association(s)
- Minimum 8 years legal experience, with at least 5 years regulatory and/or supply chain law experience.Some in-house counsel experience with consumer products company strongly preferred.
- Substantial experience with commercial contracts, and cross-border transactions, and some experience with joint venture agreements.
- Product claims and related advertising law experience.
- Working knowledge of FDA governance of cosmetic industry and/or related federal and state law requirements, or knowledge of a similar product regulatory framework.
- An exceptional ability to collaborate and communicate with others, both internally and externally and with a strong client focused orientation and demonstrated business acumen that inspires confidence and trust.
- Highly motivated, efficient, and organized; able to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, both collaborating as a team member and working independently to get the job done.
- Strategic thinking combined with strong execution capabilities; a track record of providing creative solutions and ability to think out of the box.
- Strong writing, advocacy and conflict resolution skills.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Senior Corporate CounselIAC ApplicationsNew York, NYMar 25
Associate CounselOpenTableSan Francisco, CAMar 25
Senior Liability Trial CounselTravelersAlpharetta, GAMar 24
Auto/General Liability Senior Counsel Major CaseTravelersDiamond Bar, CAMar 24
Counsel, Labor & EmploymentMichael KorsNew York, NYMar 24
Corporate Counsel - Global Supply Chain / Real EstateHill-RomChicago, ILFeb 20
Business & Regulatory AnalystKaterraSeattle, WAFeb 16
Regulatory CounselOscarNew York, NYFeb 16
Bank Counsel (Contracts/Regulatory)First Midwest BancorpChicago, ILMar 17
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF LEGAL & COMPLIANCEPolen Capital ManagementBoca Raton, FLMar 17