Senior Counsel, Public-Private Partnerships/Center for Inclusive Growth
Job Description Summary
Mastercard is seeking an experienced attorney to provide comprehensive legal support to Public Private Partnerships and Center for Inclusive Growth teams, the global teams across the organization that bring together businesses, governments, academic institutions and non-profits and non-governmental organizations to create new models of collaboration that ignite inclusive growth. These teams also innovate new technical and commercial solutions tackling pressing development issues such as humanitarian response, financial identity and government efficiency and transparency.
The Senior Counsel will serve as an integrated partner with the assigned business teams to drive corporate and team strategy, and evolve global partnerships with stakeholders such as merchants, mobile operators, e-commerce and payments participants, governments, private foundations, NGOs, and financial institutions.
The work requires substantial cross-functional engagement across Mastercard as well as interacting with the potential end customers and partners as needed. This role is responsible for identifying and evaluating the information needed to manage the risks inherent in these and other Mastercard activities balanced against a growth agenda.
• Partner with cross functional, multicultural and multijurisdictional teams to develop innovative solutions that differentiate Mastercard and meet our customers’ and cardholders’ rapidly changing needs
• Engage with executive level management and assist clients in managing and mitigating legal and commercial risks
• Manage tactical and strategic legal support related to products and solutions to drive convergence of physical and digital payments and advance Mastercard’s corporate objectives
• Collaborate with in-house and external specialists (including data protection, information security, regulatory, intellectual property, and litigation and competition law counsel) to identify relevant issues and help the business effectively navigate risk
• Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts (e.g. complex technology agreements, customer and vendor agreements, grant agreements) to deliver impactful results for Public Private Partnerships and Center for Inclusive Growth teams
• Lead the monitoring and evaluation of applicable laws and government regulations affecting the operation and activities of Public Private Partnerships and Center for Inclusive Growth (in coordination with regional and headquarters LFI colleagues)
• Partner with colleagues to develop and present policy and regulatory positions related to Public Private Partnerships and Center for Inclusive Growth activities with relevant internal and external stakeholders
• Assist with the creation of training materials and development activities to advance the business objectives in a compliant manner in accordance with company policies.
All About You:
• Law degree from an established and reputable law school; licensed to practice in one or more states, including New York
• Significant relevant experience in complex transactional matters, including strong background in government contracting, private foundation or NGO work, M&A, intellectual property, data protection and/or other technology related legal matters in a reputable law firm and/or as in-house lawyer
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit and approach, able to embrace calculated risk and solve for ambiguity
• Must have a strategic mindset and be able to effectively discuss with and advise senior management regarding complex legal matters and challenging situations
• Must be thorough and detail-oriented, able to prioritize, and juggle multiple projects and demands
• Is a team player who is both organizationally savvy and a strong communicator able to collaborate cross-
Sign up for Job Alerts
Legal Counsel- PatentsDropboxSan Francisco, CAApr 28
Counsel, Labor Relations20th Century FoxLos Angeles, CAApr 28
Senior Counsel, Litigation UnitCignaPhiladelphia, PA or Bloomfield, CTApr 28
Insurance Regulatory AttorneyWillis Towers WatsonWashington, D.C.Apr 28
Insurance Regulatory AttorneyWillis Towers WatsonNashville, TNApr 28
Counsel, Transactions (Uber for Business)UberSan Francisco, CAFeb 28
Senior Legal CounselCambridge AssociatesBoston, MAMar 13
Senior Counsel - Retail OperationsSears Holdings Management CorporationChicago, ILApr 10
Senior Liability Trial CounselTravelersAlpharetta, GAMar 24
Senior Corporate CounselGUESS? Inc.Los Angeles, CAApr 11