Counsel, Financial Services and Litigation
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. And make it easier for customers to shop and pay at their favorite businesses. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
You are a litigator or product counsel with experience in financial recovery and collections in the financial sector. As Counsel at Square, you will provide product and litigation legal support to the Square Capital and Register teams.The attorney in this role will gain a deep understanding of Square’s products and act as the face of Square, resolving conflicts and shaping our relationships with customers. As we expand our offerings, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact.
- Manage pre-litigation, litigation, and arbitration related to recovery and collections programs at Square
- Provide guidance on a wide range of legal matters related to lending and financial services
- Work closely with our internal product, business, risk, and compliance teams, as well as with external advisors
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, and privacy laws and regulations
- Provide ideas and insights into how Square can work within the law to create amazing product experiences for its customers
- 5+ years of relevant experience in law firm, government, consulting firm, and/or in-house counsel departments
- JD and are member of California bar
- Experience advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development, bankruptcy, and probate matters
- Demonstrated application of financial services regulations, such as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA)/Regulation Z, Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA)/Regulation B, Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA)/Regulation E, Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), as well as state and federal laws relating to usury, debt collection, loan brokers, and lending licensing requirements
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage projects effectively
- Sound and practical business judgment, intellectual creativity, and problem-solving skills
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Sign up for Job Alerts
In-House Counsel - LitigationUSA Dawgs, Inc.Las Vegas, NVJan 15
In-House Counsel (Litigator)Prospect CapitalNew York, NYFeb 03
Corporate and Securities CounselFigSan Francisco, CAJan 27
Product & Technology CounselPractice FusionSan Francisco, CAJan 27
Associate Counsel, Labor & EmploymentBarneys New YorkNew York, NYFeb 23