Father Joe’s Villages is committed to ending the cycle of homelessness by providing the resources and skills that enables our clients to rejoin the workforce and obtain housing on their own.
The General Counsel is responsible for providing in-house counsel and legal services to the company. This person will provide, implement, and monitor our legal strategy to ensure compliance and best practices with various regulatory issues that are unique to our business. This person will also work with outside counsel that specializes in different areas of law, on an as needed basis.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor to ensure compliance with various regulatory issues related to our industry and business.
• Creates and implements strategies to mitigate legal risks for the company.
• Interprets applicable federal, state and local laws, policies and procedures.
• Manages and supervises any litigation involving the company and its affiliates with outside counsel when necessary or appropriate.
• Judges the merits of court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate stakeholders to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted in conjunction with senior leadership.
• Oversees organization of legal document system, from state registrations to operating agreements.
• Drafts, analyzes, reviews and/or negotiates contracts, loan documents, policies, procedures, agreements, etc.
• Implements best practices unique to our business and model.
• Develops and provides training to employees on legal matters and implications for the organization on an as needed basis.
• Prioritizes and manages workload, manage simultaneous tasks, and meet deadlines in a changing fast-paced environment.
• Works independently under pressure and with little supervision.
• Must have a Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school.
• Licensed to practice law in the State of California and a member in good standing with the California Bar.
• A minimum of 5 years legal experience at a law firm and/or in-house.
• Experience working on matters of corporate governance, compliance, employment law, commercial transactions, litigation, and with a board of directors.
• Experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources.
• Demonstrated ability to research legal and business issues.
• Experience in interpreting applicable federal, state and local laws, policies and procedures.
• Outstanding writing, presentation, public speaking & communication skills.
• Strong negotiation skills and solid business instinct and judgment.
• Strong collaborative skills, able to build partnerships and alliances internally and with external partners at all levels of the organization.
1. Client Focus.
2. Collaboration Skills.
3. Communication Proficiency.
5. Problem Solving/Analysis.
7. Time Management.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the organization.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.