Summary: Manage a comprehensive range of legal services for Hanley Wood (HW) and its operating subsidiaries. Under the general supervision of HW's CFO, provides direction, guidance and assistance on legal matters to senior executives, managers, directors, and other company personnel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Ensures appropriate application of all laws and regulations relating to HW's corporate and operational activities and
- Provides practical, legal and business advice to HW personnel with respect to commercial transactions, compliance, new business, and new opportunities.
- Manages mergers and acquisitions in all phases of the process from due diligence through post-closing integration, including managing outside counsel.
- Manages external attorneys involved in providing legal advice with respect to business transactions, operational matters, and mergers and
- Oversees litigation matters and ensures internal support as
- Performs due diligence reviews and the preparation of regulatory filings in relation to possible mergers and
- Assesses and mitigates legal risks of company activities, and advises management and other company personnel on legal and strategic
- Drafts, analyzes and reviews resolutions, regulations, procedures, contracts, and related documents on behalf of the
- Participates in contract negotiations and ensures compliance with contract
- Assists in establishing policies and procedure consistent with establishing legal principles and
- Monitors and maintains current knowledge of industry trends in legal and compliance matters and pursues ongoing professional development to maintain current knowledge on best
Qualifications and Competencies:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the above duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Pertinent and Proven Experience:
- Candidate should come from a background working either with private equity owned portfolio companies, or have private M&A experience at a law firm
- Candidate must have experience in the analysis, interpretation and application of business law
- Candidate should demonstrate an ability to apply sounds legal principles at corporate and operational levels
- Candidate should possess the ability to ensure the Company-wide application and integration of legal requirements
- Candidate should possess a demonstrated capacity to build relationships internally and externally and an ability to quickly establish credibility across an organization, including engaging others to ensure the most effective and efficient implementation of legal requirements
- Candidate must possess highly effective written and verbal communication skills with the ability to relate directly, openly and effectively with both internal and external constituencies
- Candidate must possess strong conceptual analytical skills and negotiation skills
- Candidate must demonstrate clear understanding of legal ethics and the ability to use good judgment and discretion, including
Required Education / Experience:
- JD from an accredited law school
- A license to practice law in the District of Columbia
- Minimum five years’ experience in a major law firm or corporate law department (experience working with private equity owned businesses is preferred)
- Working knowledge of finance and accounting principles
- Experience with senior credit agreements
About Hanley Wood:
Hanley Wood is the leading business-to-business media company serving the housing and construction industry, and one of the top 10 B2B media companies in the country.
We enjoy a corporate culture that simultaneously encourages high levels of creativity and productivity. Those who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and are motivated by personal and team success will find a challenging and rewarding career here at Hanley Wood.
You owe it to yourself to work for a dynamic company. Employee satisfaction is important to us, so we provide competitive compensation and a generous benefits package all while working within a dynamic workplace setting.
Sign up for Job Alerts
General CounselBracebridge CapitalBoston, MAJan 20
General CounselMcCoy's Building SupplySan Marcos, TXFeb 23
General CounselAnkus Consulting, Inc.Miami, FLJan 11
Associate General CounselWolverine WorldwideRockford, MI, United StatesFeb 10
Assistant General CounselCarnegie Institution for ScienceWashington, D.C.Jan 17