The Legal department, which is primarily based in London, New York and Englewood, Colorado, is responsible for all IHS Markit’s global legal and compliance functions.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced lawyer to join the Englewood, Colorado or New York, NY office of the global IHS Markit legal team.
The focus will primarily be on supporting product and commercial matters for the Firm’s Financial Markets division, which provides technology and information services to the global financial services community. The successful candidate will work in a fast-paced environment, handling negotiations, drafting and advising sales and product groups with respect to transactions, new product initiatives, commercial licensing and distribution agreements, alliance arrangements, marketing and promotions.
This is a front-line role that requires a confident, commercially-minded lawyer with excellent drafting skills, attention to detail, negotiation and people skills, the ability to work autonomously, effectively juggle competing priorities and manage complicated projects from inception to completion.
Duties & Accountabilities
The primary responsibilities will include functioning as a legal advisor on:
• Commercial and product-related legal issues, including licensing, IP, technology development and support, and general commercial contractual issues for IHS Markit’s Financial Markets division.
• Developing expertise on a wide range of IHS Markit products, and building strong relationships with business clients in IHS Markit’s various global offices.
• Negotiating deals with end clients, technology, data and distribution partners, and strategic alliance partners, including drafting and negotiating bespoke contracts.
• Analysing, evaluating and providing input to new product and new client proposals with a view to identifying and managing possible business and legal risks.
• Drafting and maintaining agreement templates.
• Identifying potential legal risks and escalating issues on a timely basis where appropriate.
• Working with colleagues at all levels of the IHS Markit enterprise.
Education and experience
• A lawyer eligible to practice in-house in New York or Colorado.
• Strong academic background and credentials, with a degree from an accredited law school. .
• Experience in drafting and negotiating commercial and other business-to-business technology and information-related contracts.
• Experience in managing projects and effectively collaborating with team members and other colleagues.
• Strong work ethic and proven ability to work across a range of commercial transactions simultaneously.
• Prior in-house experience is preferable, but the role could also be suitable for a capable corporate or commercial law firm associate who is seeking to move in-house. Strong references required.
• Knowledge of commercial contract law.
• Knowledge of financial services industry a plus.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Management requirement - IIHS Markit offers a flat departmental structure, with room to grow, and the successful candidate should expect to be involved with all aspects of the Legal department’s work.
• Excellent relationship management, project management and influencing skills.
• Ability to work in a dynamic, matrix management work environment.
• Proven ability to interact successfully with attorneys, in-house client groups, senior management and outside parties.
• Ability to anticipate potential problems and respond effectively.
• Excellent investigative, analytical, problem-solving and strategic skills.
• Proven ability to drive results through others not in his/her reporting chain and to thrive in a matrix management environment.
• Ability to prioritise and deliver on set deadlines.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Proactive self-starter with effective interpersonal skills
• Enthusiastic, collaborative and calm under pressure.
IHS Markit harnesses deep sources of information, analytics and expertise to forge solutions for the industries and markets that drive global economies. Our company partners with clients in business, finance and government to provide the unrivaled insights and perspectives that lead to well-informed, confident decisions. We call this The New Intelligence. IHS Markit serves more than 50,000 key customers in more than 140 countries, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500. We help decision makers apply higher-level thinking to daily tasks and strategic issues across a host of industries and disciplines including energy, finance, automotive, engineering, technology, maritime and trade, aerospace and defense, chemical, and economics and country risk. Headquartered in London, IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) is committed to sustainable, profitable growth.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Bi-lingual Spanish IP/IT LawyerConfidential: Global Software & Consulting Services CompanyBoston, MAFeb 02
Lead Commercial Counsel - BiopharmaNew England Legal SearchBoston, MAFeb 03
Commercial Real Estate AttorneyWeingarten Law Firm/Edgewood PropertiesPrinceton, NJJan 09
Commercial Litigation Attorney (Telecommute)Bliss LawyersNew York, NYFeb 16
In-House Counsel - LitigationUSA Dawgs, Inc.Las Vegas, NVJan 15