Sr. Litigation Counsel
We are seeking a Senior Litigation Counsel, based in the U.S. The Senior Litigation Counsel reports directly to the Head Commercial with a “dotted line” to the DGC. The Senior Litigation Counsel manages all pending or threatened litigation matters against the Company, across a number of regions, as well as legal claims brought by the Company against third parties. As required or necessary with respect to governmental disputes, claims or investigations, the Senior Litigation Counsel coordinates with the senior counsel who is responsible for the relevant subject matter (e.g., the Senior Litigation Counsel will coordinate with the Head Regulatory with respect to disputes, claims or investigations brought by telecom regulatory bodies).
The Senior Litigation Counsel’s responsibilities include:
- developing, implementing and maintaining appropriate litigation policies, systems and defenses relevant to the Company’s operations, including document hold and production policies;
- advising the business on all disputes and potential disputes with third parties, including advising on chances of success and procedures of formal proceedings, preparing arguments and strategies for all disputes, corresponding with and meeting with third parties setting forth the Company’s arguments in any dispute and trying to resolve the matter without the need for formal proceedings;
- supervising outside counsel in processing all court proceedings (including arbitrations, mediations and tribunals) around the world, including drafting pre-action correspondence, preparing discovery of documents, reviewing and amending pleadings and witness statements, attending trials and hearings as appropriate, and developing strategies to obtain the best and most cost effective result for the Company;
- working closely with the collections department in order to minimize bad debt, drafting correspondence to debtors and managing collection agencies and outside counsel to ensure highest returns possible, including drafting of Settlement Agreements and binding repayment plans;
- working with the finance department and auditors in preparing litigation summaries and audit confirmation letters for financial reporting;
- preparing and filing proof of debt claims for insolvent debtors of the Company;
- working with the insurance cell to process any insurance claims and reviewing the insurance policies to be held by the Company;
- working closely with the HR department on labour and employee issues including performance management and terminations;
- assisting the compliance team on issues arising from alleged breach of the Company’s code of conduct and related policies, whistle-blower cases and internal investigations;
- updating, through the GC or DGC, the Board of Directors, audit committee and management on all dispute related matters; and
- responding to subpoenas and requests for information from enforcement and regulatory bodies.
Skills / Experience Requirements: A J.D., LLB, LLM (or a foreign equivalent) with admission to the bar in at least one relevant jurisdiction with good standing and a minimum of eight (8) to ten (10) years of post-qualification experience, gained in both private practice and in-house. Essential skills include: a track record in team building skills, experience in complex litigation and other dispute resolution matters in one or more key jurisdictions where the Company operates and faces increased likelihood of claims. An international telecommunications background is recommended, but not required provided that the candidate has relevant litigation/dispute resolution experience. Excellent negotiation, communication and technical skills, with the ability to work autonomously and manage multiple litigation or other dispute matters and outside counsel across a range of relevant jurisdictions, substantial experience in liaising with management level in large organizations and proven credentials working in a range of international business environments are essential.
Sign up for Job Alerts
In-House Counsel - LitigationUSA Dawgs, Inc.Las Vegas, NVJan 15
In-House Counsel (Litigator)Prospect CapitalNew York, NYFeb 03
Sr Counsel - Empower RetirementGreat-West FinancialDenver, COFeb 24
Commercial Litigation Attorney (Telecommute)Bliss LawyersNew York, NYFeb 16
CounselAdverum Biotechnologies, IncMenlo Park, CAJan 25