Senior Legal Counsel
The Legal Counsel will be responsible for providing advice and counsel to the North American Business team in commercial matters relevant to the businesses of the company, including, but not limited to the Independent Business Group ("IBG"), Mid-Market Branding, and Mid-Market Placement. The role requires the individual to leverage skills as a strategic business partner and work with colleagues to interpret and provide creative business solutions as permitted under applicable law. The position will be located in our corporate headquarters in Houston, Texas. Travel to other North American offices in Mexico, Canada, and throughout the U.S. may be required.
• Advise management on various legal issues relating to the business of the company
• Review, draft and assist in the negotiation of various contracts and agreements (on both the revenue generating and expense side), as well as corporate policies and standard operating procedures
• Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, legal processes and policies, and contract management
• Assist in the development of short- and long-range strategic goals and objectives for the legal team
• Assist in the resolution of commercial disputes and where appropriate engage outside counsel
• Assist the General Counsel and Associate General Counsel(s) with compliance issues on legal (regulatory) and contractual obligations
• Support the Board of Directors and various committees in performing their duties on an as-needed basis
• Juris Doctorate (preference will be given to a top 20% graduate from a nationally ranked (top 50) law school, or in lieu thereof, law school awards or achievements, such as graduating with honors, law review or mock trial/moot court
• Bachelor's Degree
• Three + years general commercial/transactional experience with an AmLaw 100 firm and/or corporation
• Must be able to successfully pass all applicable background screening tests.
• Must have excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Possess an interest in a high volume transactional practice and enhancing business transactional oversight and contract excellence initiatives
• Strong preference for experience conducting complex contract negotiations and drafting
• Strong preference for experience advising business team leaders on key legal issues
• Strong intellectual capacity and high personal standards of excellence
• Strong business acumen; capacity to learn the business rapidly and become a business partner
• Ability to define specific action plans based on general guidance and objectives and deliver results
• Regulatory work with or for a financial institution preferred, but not mandatory
• Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Work, PowerPoint, Excel)
• ADP Self Service