General Counsel and Patent Attorney
BAS Research Center (BAS) is California’s first licensed medical cannabis manufacturing and research group, dedicated to developing breakthrough pharmaceutical grade marijuana products. Our goal is to replace the negative social stigma associated with cannabis, with an all-natural, bio-nutraceutical approach. BAS provides a variety of services to clients, including extraction and contract processing, private label manufacturing, packaging, and labeling. With a focus on standardized dosing, products produced at BAS provide all of the potential medicinal benefits of cannabis, without the risks associated with the variations in the current marketplace. Standardized dosing and research is the first step to confirming the effectiveness of medical marijuana.
Visit Us: www.basresearch.com and BAS Research Featured on Dr Oz.
The Patent and General Counsel will be responsible for managing the company’s patent strategy, contributing to strategic transactions, brand management, marketing support, participation in franchise licensing, trade secrecy management, litigation management, and IP training. This position offers the unique opportunity to shape our business and IP strategy in a startup growth environment. The right candidate is eager for professional growth and for the opportunity to solve novel and cutting edge legal and business problems in the continually evolving cannabis space.
- Direct, manage and optimize work with outside counsel related to all matters of the company.
- Provide leadership and legal/risk mitigation advice to multi-functional teams on various intellectual property matters including all substantive areas of IP, licensing and commercial issues.
- Assist and advise the executive team on structure, negotiation, and drafting of licenses and other complex IP agreements.
- Help prepare and prosecute patent applications (U.S. and foreign).
- Develop best practices around the protection and management of company trade secrets and other valuable and proprietary information.
- Draft and negotiate various licensing, consulting, service and product agreements.
- Work closely with Cheif Scientist to identify patentable subject matter.
- Identify scientific and technical issues that could impact future patent and commercial opportunities.
- Review proposed publications in advance of disclosure to identify patentable subject matter.
The ideal candidate has exposure to all areas of IP law including litigation, patent and trademark prosecution, and licensing.
- Licensed patent attorney with at least 5+ years of experience in the franchise model, patent, intellectual property.
- Expert in complex commercial transactions pertaining to franchise and IP matters
- Knowledge of cannabis and medical marijuana laws a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Creative problem solving ability with the judgement to effectively balance risk with commercial goals
- JD degree and admission to a state bar, and ability to practice in CA
Sign up for Job Alerts
Patent CounselBeacon Hill Staffing GroupBoston, MAFeb 15
Patent CounselHusqvarna GroupCharlotte, NCJan 19
Associate Director Patent AttorneyRegeneronTarrytown, NYJan 10
Patent/Transactional AttorneyFirm Advice, Inc.Washington, D.C.Jan 13
General CounselBracebridge CapitalBoston, MAJan 20