Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, and in sales offices around the globe, we’re dedicated to our trailblazing mission—enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
We are looking for a Corporate Counsel to join our small legal team and to provide legal protection to Foursquare and our employees. This individual will report directly to Foursquare’s General Counsel, and will be responsible for many day to day legal issues facing the company. This individual will interact with clients, draft and negotiate contracts, resolve disputes, and have opportunity for continued growth and development.
- Provide strategic legal advice and counsel to product and engineering teams on a broad range of compliance, consumer product and privacy issues
- Review, draft, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements, including master services, licensing, professional services, marketing, and vendor agreements; partner with relevant business stakeholders as necessary
- Assist with corporate, M&A, intellectual property, litigation, employment, international and other legal matters as required
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, privacy, IP, and high-tech laws to ensure an ongoing ability to provide informed legal and business advice
- A Bachelor’s Degree, a Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school, and a license to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction
- 3-5 years of experience practicing law at a law firm or in house (or a combination of both)
- Technology and privacy experience is strongly preferred
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements
- Fluency with, or eagerness to learn about, technology to the extent necessary to counsel the business
- Flexible, self-starting, hard-working, and comfortable with informed decision-making
- Business judgment and ability to assess legal risk while providing practical advice
- Enthusiastic team member who enjoys taking ownership of projects, building relationships cross-functionally, and working on cutting edge legal issues
- Strong analytical and advisory skills, including the ability to review, evaluate and counsel business colleagues on complex and routine legal questions relating to various business issues