Assistant General Counsel (Commercial Law, M&A, Antitrust)
The position of Assistant General Counsel requires an attorney with a strong M&A, antitrust and general commercial background and will work strategically with international business and commercial colleagues. The successful incument will hold a generalist background and can assist on other matters that arise from time to time within the Company.
The Assistant General Counsel will be devoted to M&A, antitrust and commercial activities, which entails the following responsibilities:
1. Support and interact with business units in acquisitions, divestitures and other investment projects, including structuring and negotiating deals, coordinating and undertaking due diligence, and advising senior management;
2. Advise business units and offer training on antitrust and other compliance issues;
3. Negotiate, draft and advise business units and staff departments on commercial projects and contracts of all types, including confidentiality agreements, supply and consignment agreements, distribution and sales representative agreements, licensing contracts, logistics contracts, energy agreements, purchase agreements, transportation contracts, and other commercial agreements;
4. Serve as a general commercial legal backup where needed; and
5. As appropriate, retain and supervise outside counsel.
While not required, it will be desirable for the successful candidate to also have expertise in one or more of the following: (1) real estate; (2) customs, export/import, and foreign trade regulations; (3) government affairs; and/or (4) other general corporate or commercial matters that arise from time to time. Experience in the chemical or petrochemical industries is preferred but not required.
This position operates as an adviser to senior management, and must independently work and prioritize simultaneously with multiple business groups. Candidates will need to interact with all levels of the company in the management of commercial transactions and provide legal advice. This position is a member of the commercial team within the law department.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- J.D. from top tier U.S. law school and membership in a State Bar
- 10+ years of experience in M&A and commercial matters, preferably with a chemical or manufacturing company
- Large law firm experience; previous in-house experience preferred.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
A global chemical company and France’s leading chemicals producer, Arkema is building the future of the chemical industry every day. Deploying a responsible, innovation-based approach, we produce state-of-the-art specialty chemicals that provide customers with practical solutions to such challenges as climate change, access to drinking water, the future of energy, fossil fuel preservation and the need for lighter materials. With operations in close to 50 countries, some 19,000 employees and research centers in North America, France and Asia, Arkema generates pro forma annual revenue of some $8.1 billion, and holds leadership positions in all its markets with a portfolio of internationally recognized brands.,
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Assistant General CounselCarnegie Institution for ScienceWashington, D.C.Jan 17
Assistant Director, Antitrust ComplianceIntelSanta Clara, CAJan 05
M&A Counsel, NYCThe Greenwich Executive GroupNew York, NYFeb 24
General CounselBracebridge CapitalBoston, MAJan 20
General CounselMcCoy's Building SupplySan Marcos, TXFeb 23