Ankus Consulting, Inc. (“ACI”) has been engaged on an exclusive basis to conduct a General Counsel search. Qualified candidates are invited to email their resume and compensation requirements (base and bonus) to Joe Ankus at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about our recruiting firm, please visit our website at www.ankusconsulting.com. At this time, our client, who is based in Miami, strongly prefers not to relocate candidates from outside of Florida unless they have a significant connection to South Florida, are a member of the Florida Bar in good standing and are otherwise qualified for the position. Direct candidate inquiries only please.
ABOUT OUR CLIENT: They are a privately held alternative investment and asset management firm focused on commercial and residential real estate ventures throughout the United States. Through its investment platforms, our client seeks to generate attractive risk-adjusted returns for various types of co-investors including institutions, sovereign wealth funds, family offices and high net worth individuals. They currently have three divisions specializing in residential properties (a multihousing owner and operator), real estate funding (a private real estate capital provider) and real estate development (an end-to-end construction and development company). With approximately a $2.0 Billion + portfolio, our client is a fast-growing, dynamic and entrepreneurial company that seeks to identify and capitalize on real estate trends and opportunities nationally.
Experience & Bar Requirements:
- 7-10+ years. Previous in-house counsel with relevant experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent understanding of major federal laws, applicable state laws and related regulations that govern capital raising including Reg D and Reg D exemptions. Broker/dealer regulatory experience a plus.
- Excellent leadership skills with a proven ability to successfully mentor and train employees.
- Familiarity with internal Human Resource procedures, such as hiring and dismissing employees and experience handling sensitive employee matters and information with tact and confidentiality.
- Experience in working in partnership with outside counsel as appropriate, to address transaction, HR, litigation and regulatory issues.
- Support for asset acquisition, capital raising, HR, and BD functions.
- Ability to transition easily from a hands-on, operations-focused view to a strategic/business planning outlook.
- Experience with compliance-related issues and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and enforce compliance and legal policies and procedures.
- Licensed and in good standing with the Florida Bar or current Florida Authorized In House Counsel admission is required.
Composition of Responsibilities: The position will require an attorney to work with the management team and have core competencies in the following areas:
- AML & OFAC/Corporate Compliance/Securities/PE/Private Placement Capital Raising (35%)
- Corporate Governance/Maintenance/Reg D Compliance/Risk Management (25%)
- Real Estate Acquisition/Joint Ventures/Financing (20%)
- Labor/Employment and Human Resources (10%), and
- Litigation Management (10%)
- Proactively identify, analyze and advise on all legal issues for the organization; effectively balancing legal issues with business risk.
- Identify legal and enterprise risk and required internal controls and policies to ensure that the company and subsidiaries maintain compliance with the law, with sound business practices and with ethical requirements. Draft and assist in the training and implementation of policies and procedures designed to accomplish this goal.
- Establish internal policies and procedures for a Corporate Legal Department and manage the activities of the Legal Department.
- Assist with: (i) the negotiation of real estate acquisitions and of financing and (ii) Assist with drafting and maintaining agreements with investors.
- Manage all of the Company’s litigation (including claims by third parties which did not reach the litigation stage). Work with the appropriate business units to resolve claims, contract disputes and litigation by providing any necessary legal advice.
- Work closely with the Company’s Risk Management function to identify risk and ensure that risk is mitigated by either adequate insurance or internal risk retention.
- Advise and assist Human Resources in drafting and revising employment policies as well as providing guidance on general and sensitive personnel matters such as discipline and terminations, investigation of internal complaints of discrimination or harassment and employee leaves and accommodation requests.
- Provide support for other corporate functions, including matters involving employee benefits, regulatory compliance, audit, privacy and internal investigations.
IDEAL TRAITS: Organized, motivated, bright, professional, proactive common-sense team player that thrives in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment. Strong strategic thinker on specific issues with a broad view analytical approach (particularly regarding risk assessment and mitigation). Creative problem-solver is a must with demonstrated “hands on” business acumen and history of proven business success.
Our client is an Equal Opportunity Employer and requires a background check (civil/criminal) and a drug test as part of its hiring process for this position.